PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

System Modifications - Poll

Started by BlueBMW, 04/03/2011, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of modifying Turbo / PCE systems?

No.  This hardware is rare and should stay pure and factory original
1 (1.9%)
Repair mods are OK (improved lasers, gear train replacements)
8 (14.8%)
Repair mods and hardware improvement mods ok (RGB out, A/V jacks etc)
4 (7.4%)
All of the above and Region switches ok
25 (46.3%)
All mods, including painting / cutting / significantly altering appearances
16 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

BlueBMW

As someone who does repairs and modification work, what do you guys think of modifying our Turbo / PCE systems?  They are becoming rarer and rarer as time goes on, so I can understand wanting to preserve factory original hardware.  But there are also a lot of benefits to the player when you have a system that's region switched or RGB modded.

Personally, I dont mind most modifications that dont significantly alter the appearance of the console.  I like tasteful clean mods that improve functionality (like region switches and A/V jacks etc)

Tell me what you all think.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

henrycsc

Beamer, I have no issue with doing whatever you want with your hardware. 

I would caution people who may have something in really great condition with box and inserts (particularly if everything has matching serial numbers) on modding the system (other than needed repairs).  In those cases, I think you could sell your setup to a collector who wants everything original and buy a loose system to mod (and probably pay for some of the mod work).

There are enough loosies out there that I don't think region modding them is going to affect the market either way.  I've even considered having an LT modded, and it's one of the rarer setups.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: BlueBMW on 04/03/2011, 03:29 PMAs someone who does repairs and modification work, what do you guys think of modifying our Turbo / PCE systems?  They are becoming rarer and rarer as time goes on, so I can understand wanting to preserve factory original hardware.  But there are also a lot of benefits to the player when you have a system that's region switched or RGB modded.

Personally, I dont mind most modifications that dont significantly alter the appearance of the console.  I like tasteful clean mods that improve functionality (like region switches and A/V jacks etc)

Tell me what you all think.
My opinion on it is this, anyone is free to do whatever they want with their hardware.

With that said, US Turbo Duos and Turbo Expresses are fairly uncommon. I see modding them as defacing them. Obviously if you have a scratched up, beaten Duo with a missing HuCard door then any mods made to it aren't going to effect the historical significance of the hardware. But a nice clean US Duo that now has a region switch coming out of the side of it, or an S-video out is a bit of a problem.

For more common hardware (US TG16s, Japanese Duos, PC Engine LTs) I don't have a problem with modding, these things aren't rare enough to warrant keeping them in original condition for historical purposes as there's lots of unmodified ones out there.

Any repairs made to the hardware (replaced lasers, replaced caps) are done to retain functionality and I have no issue with as well.
--DragonmasterDan

TR0N

I'm for mods on any model since it gives the pce more use and i don't see any problem with it.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/03/2011, 04:13 PMFor more common hardware (US TG16s, Japanese Duos, PC Engine LTs) I don't have a problem with modding, these things aren't rare enough to warrant keeping them in original condition for historical purposes as there's lots of unmodified ones out there.
I'm pretty sure LTs are significantly more rare than US Duos.

As for the poll, I went with "All of the above and Region switches ok". Any mod that ends up with the system seeing more use is a good mod.

I replaced the LED in my Duo R with a blue one, but that's about as far as I'd go with the cosmetic stuff unless you had a really good idea. Most cosmetic mods to systems are just gross, but once you see the blue LED in there it really looks like it came that way. It kinda matches the logos on the system.
IMG

Bernie

The way I see it, if it improves your gaming experience, mod it.

TheClash603

I generally only like repairs of broken systems, and would rather keep stuff original.  However, I have no problem with other people doing what they want to do, because other people can do whatever they want.

Also, I haven't seen it done much outside of a U.S. toaster NES, but some of those paint jobs and cut ups look so damn cool, I can't argue them.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/04/2011, 04:03 AMI'm pretty sure LTs are significantly more rare than US Duos.
I wrote LT but meant GT.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Quote from: henrycsc on 04/03/2011, 03:57 PMBeamer, I have no issue with doing whatever you want with your hardware. 

I would caution people who may have something in really great condition with box and inserts (particularly if everything has matching serial numbers) on modding the system (other than needed repairs).  In those cases, I think you could sell your setup to a collector who wants everything original and buy a loose system to mod (and probably pay for some of the mod work).

There are enough loosies out there that I don't think region modding them is going to affect the market either way.  I've even considered having an LT modded, and it's one of the rarer setups.
This, pretty much.  It's your stuff to do with as you please, but I would rather mod a used console than one that's new / nearly new, especially if you're gonna paint it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

thrush

My thoughts count for little on this topic as I have never done any electronics modifications myself, but I feel that modding is inherently worthwhile.  There is something to be said for maintaining pristine originals as well, but I'd rather see any piece of hardware active in the wild than looking perfect behind a pane of glass, and the more rare/vintage the machine becomes the more I'd like to see it still going.

turbogrfxfan

Mods are cool if ur into it. I have a tgcd and a duo r so I don't need a region mod. I like everything original. Its up to the person but I think in time the modded systems will decrease a system instead of increasing
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

toppy

I think rarity and collectible condition (e.g., owning a complete retail package) affect my opinion. Cosmetic condition (e.g., absolute mint, but loose, unit) comes third.

Of course, this is a spectrum, and not black and white. If someone discovers PCE games on the Virtual Console and wants to "keep it digital", more power to them. But I think there is something to be said about handling the HuCard, gripping the original TurboPad, seeing the industrial design up close. If you only play on VC, you are no less a gamer, but you are missing a small but significant aspect of the experience. I figure most here will agree with that.

So at the other end of the spectrum, you may have someone who has a CRT TV shrine set up in the basement for all the old consoles, to be played exactly as they were two or three decades ago. Then you may have someone else using S-Video or RGB mods for everything they've collected. Both types are "hard core" in their own way (keeping it real Vs. making it all it can be), but by the reasoning in the first example, there is something to be said about playing it "as it was"...

But really, everyone wins here. The losers are the ones who only play current-gen stuff.

NecroPhile

Quote from: toppy on 04/05/2011, 04:27 PMBut really, everyone wins here. The losers are the ones who only play current-gen stuff.
Heh, quoted for truth.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2011, 04:38 PM
Quote from: toppy on 04/05/2011, 04:27 PMBut really, everyone wins here. The losers are the ones who only play current-gen stuff.
Heh, quoted for truth.  8)
But it's hard to play the TG16 when I have my 3DS in my hands?

I kid, I kid.  I'll have to play some Splash Lake tonight to make my 3DS remember who's boss.

I'd like to see someone do some mods like this to a TG16 http://www.coderetard.com/2008/04/23/sweet-nes-custom-paint-jobs/ or http://www.mistershape.com/blog/2006/08/zelda-nes-mod.html I have seen much better NES examples, but wasn't able to find them in a quick search.  Anyone on this site have artistic capabilities that would try to do a fully painted/cut TG16 mod?  I'd love to see a Bonk or Alien/Devil Crush system.

bartre

personally, i gotta say that i'm a fan of any mod IF DONE WELL.
your average joe schmo, nah, not gonna bother.
painting and the like are my main issue, as those usually go horribly horribly wrong from what i've seen, though when done well they can be pimpin.

SignOfZeta

The thing with cosmetic mods is that, while I'm not opposed to them on principle, NEC systems are so damned cool looking that it's almost guaranteed you are going to end up with something worse.

Go ahead and mod a XBox1 or PS2, the things could hardly be any uglier, but a Duo? How can you improve upon that?

The TG-16 is pretty naff though...go ahead, paint it hot pink and put spinning LED chrome shit all over it. The Shuttle might look nice plated.
IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/05/2011, 07:16 PMThe thing with cosmetic mods is that, while I'm not opposed to them on principle, NEC systems are so damned cool looking that it's almost guaranteed you are going to end up with something worse.

Go ahead and mod a XBox1 or PS2, the things could hardly be any uglier, but a Duo? How can you improve upon that?

The TG-16 is pretty naff though...go ahead, paint it hot pink and put spinning LED chrome shit all over it. The Shuttle might look nice plated.
I agree with what you are saying, I wouldn't want to mess up a Turbo Duo.  However, some TG16 cosmetic mods are what I'd like to see.  Someone on this site needs to be up to the challenge?

If I didn't already sell my spare TG16, I'd make something shitty just for fun.  Can't do that with my only remaining console though.

SignOfZeta

I'd consider a complete case replacement. Put all the guts in a...Masters of the Universe play set or an old jewelry box.

Maybe a huge thick book of some sort?
IMG

BlueBMW

I posted this mostly out of curiousity as to where the folks here stand on this stuff.  No right or wrong answer :P

As far as someone who does sweet mods.... Red Ghost seems to be at the top of his game on this stuff.  He's the one who did that awesome Zonk cutout on that Duo-R for henrycsc.  He's done some other awesome stuff too.  Not sure how much he still does though.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

henrycsc

Beamer, Red Ghost is AMAZING to work with!  He took my original concept and honed it until I was fully satisfied with what the end product would be.  He offered me full console paint, but it wasn't the look I was particularly after for this mod.  He has other painted consoles on his site, but I wanted the logos intact.  Paint might be a great way to clean up a particularly beatup system though - we've all seen some ugly old yellers!

Lots of detail here for a simple design - notice there is black paint on the edges that were cut as well as the floating shades, and the yellow bolt is a piece of yellow acrylic. 

/p4062271.jpg

/p4062269.jpg

/p4062268.jpg

Here's Red Ghost's page with his work:  http://gametz.com/user/platinumfungi.html  Red, when are you posting the Youtube vid of Zonk?   :twisted:

Again, I had this done on a loose setup.  Of course, you can do whatever you want with your own stuff, but I personally feel that a fully boxed system is worth preserving in good working (but as close to original as possible) state.  But that's me.  I'm very happy with it, and I have no regrets whatsoever.... nada, none, zilch.

I'm going to have a Super CD Rom2 painted as Lizard Man's head and a PC Engine done as a pink PEZ Candy next.   :lol:
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

Opethian

hey henry that XE stick looks familiar I saw that bid up with that sticker on the controller  nice!!
IMG

VestCunt

If you want a working system, it's pretty arbitrary to draw a line on what is an acceptable modification.  Since we're all swapping out components to keep playing at this point, I say do what you want and collectors be damned; they only jack up prices anyway. 
Quote from: bartre on 04/05/2011, 07:06 PMpersonally, i gotta say that i'm a fan of any mod IF DONE WELL.
Ditto.  Don't be a bonesaw, especially with rarer systems.   I for one don't like paint jobs.  A tasteful one could potentially be done, but this statement effectively prohibits all but the most meticulous.
Topic Adjourned.

SignOfZeta

I think that eventually, in 20 years maybe, we might be really familiar with painting the white systems since we'll get tired of retrobrighting them every year until the screws strip out. We need a decal/screen print system first though...
IMG

MasonSushi

I like the idea of improving the function of the systems.

grahf

Speaking of decals, has anyone made any high quality vector format PCE logos? If not I think I'll work on that.

blueraven

termis

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with modding, and would encourage EVERYONE, yes, even the ones with a brand-new spanking rare system, to put in mods.  Every single system I have is modded at the very least with a region-free chip/switch. 

That said, I think cosmetics should definitely be considered.  For example, a lot of people put in simple rocker switches like this below which I think are ugly.  It just looks so out of place.

IMG

So when I put in my umpteenth multi-region + 50/60Hz switches for my saturn, I really looked around for some switches that wouldn't look awful.  I ended up with this. 

IMG

I know that some people put the switch inside the battery bay for the saturn, and there's the switchless mod too, but those are annoying for functional reasons -- I just want to switch and start playing.  Not open the battery door, close it again, or having to press buttons for multiple seconds to switch regions/Hz -- that's just irritating.  Functionality still trumps anal desire to make it look completely stock (why even bother modding in the first place, then?)

BlueBMW

I agree termis, do whatever improves function / usability, but do it as tastefully as possible!  I have been using micro slide switches in region mods because they were small and not a terrible eyesore.  Recently however, I found these mini rocker switches that seem to look great!  The picture makes it look like a terrible color match, but in person it blends in perfect!

/jesseswitch.jpg

Twood1130

For my TG16CD, I chose to use the F8UEE 8PDT switch with my system, and found it easy to hide it inside the system.
The switch is mounted onto a piece of sticky insulation paper with 2 part apoxy, and the insulation paper is stuck onto the motherboard. It doesn't move at all inside the system.
I drilled a small hole so i could push it with a screwdriver when i want to switch regions.

IMG

IMG

When the TG16 is plugged into the TGCD the hole is hidden.
This also makes sure that the region cant be switched while the unit is on.

soop

I've put repair mods ok, but to be honest, I don't mind so much with the non-rare stuff.  But if I did mod anything, I'd want to retain an original, just for prosterity.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Drumjay

The function of a console has to come first. Changing capacitors isn't a mod, it's repair. I would even say that RGB port and scart connection are also repair, your making the unit work better in it's original condition.

I would only say it's a mod when you alter it's capability, multi region, LCD, power requirements.

Personally I like to keep the ones I have fully functional and as unaltered as possible, for collecting purposes. Ones that are played with altered as much as you can to improve the quality of game play and functionality!