PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Turbo Fest 2011 (VGS)

Started by chany60126, 04/05/2011, 03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chany60126

And the saga continues,

You heard the whispers, you saw the flyers. Turbo Fest is returning to Chicagoland!! Now with double the fun with more games and systems to play. Best of all, there will be 3 T-16/PC Engine tournaments throughout. Come take part in our exciting 5-player Battle Lode Runner and Bombeman 94 tourney matches. Then, step into the shoes of Vic Viper as you try to navigate the treacherous obstacles the game throws your way in this high scoring tournament. Each winner will receive a DVD set of Turbo Views Volume 2.

Tournament times are as follows:

Battle Lode Runner: 12 PM
Bomberman 94: 2 PM
Salamander: 4 PM

The event will take place July 16th in Lombard, IL at the Heron Point Convention Center. The address is 665 W. North Ave in Lombard. It is in the same parking zone as the Fairfield Inn. Lombard is located a couple of miles west of Chicago. Turbo Fest is part of a retro-gaming convention called the Video Game Summit (VGS). The show, as well as Turbo Fest, will run from 11-6 PM. There will be many people selling retro games and many other tournaments for other consoles as well. Arcades will also be present.

Admission is $3, but the price is well worth the admission. Entrance into our tournaments is 100% free. We would love to meet fellow T-16 enthusiasts such as yourselves.  

In comparison to MGC, the VGS is smaller. However, you will find that the gaming area is much spacious and can do a better job accommodating the awesomeness that is Turbo Fest. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Come spend the day with your PCEFX brethren.

Let's keep the good times rolling!

IMG

Here is a list of people that are attending for sure:
chany60126
JoshTurboTrollX-16
DragonmasterDan
Mathius
Ash
BlueBMW
hizaygizirlz
Roy the Sunderer
alexsduo
majors

Here is a a list of people that may be attending:
guyjin
turbokon
Keranu
roflmao
tggodfrey
elseven
Emerald Rocker

chany60126

I also want to point out some of the cool things Chicago has to offer in terms of gaming.
First off, Galloping Ghost Arcade is an absolute MUST-SEE. It is technically the second largest arcade in the US, and comprised of mostly retro arcades. It has got some pretty obscure cabinets such as Galaga 88, Street Fighter 1 (Fighting Street), Splatterhouse and many more. Feast your eyes on the amazing cabinet list:
http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/games_list.htm

If you're in the mood for buying turbob games, you should check out the stores below. They have a decent selection of T-16 games.

IMG

guyjin

turbokon

To bad, I'm in Kansas. Would really love to go.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

hizaygizirlz

Good stuff Chany.  Like I said you can most likely count me and a friend in.  Consider us dead money in the tournaments.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

Mathius

The woman and I are obviously coming. :) I already have the that weekend requested off at work, and I can't wait!

turbokon

Brought this up with the wife the other day. She agreed it would make a good ride trip. Now I'm very tempted.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

JoshTurboTrollX

our fam wouldn't miss it for the world.  I wonder if more MGC peeps will make the jump?  Quite a few people were asking about it as we plopped the flyers on the doors into and out of the convention!!  HAHA!

Can't wait for more turbob gamer gathering!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

16-bit

I am seriously thinking about attending. 

One thing Turbofest needs a tatoo artist.  I need a TG16 themed tatoo!

Carlson

DesmondThe3rd

Damn I wish I be there!

Mathius

Quote from: 16-bit on 04/08/2011, 08:13 PMI am seriously thinking about attending. 

Carlson
Matt from MGC here! I bough your Super Fami. I personally would love to see you there just to chill and oBey. There will be plenty of other vendors there, so no one will be bothering you to sell/trade. :wink:

majors

At least it will be warm! Been busy with a new cab and planning for Animazement. ...hows that go, "don't you...forget about meeeee"
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Mathius

Quote from: majors on 04/09/2011, 12:20 AMAt least it will be warm! Been busy with a new cab and planning for Animazement. ...hows that go, "don't you...forget about meeeee"
The song??? :lol:

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Mathius on 04/08/2011, 10:25 PM
Quote from: 16-bit on 04/08/2011, 08:13 PMI am seriously thinking about attending. 

Carlson
Matt from MGC here! I bough your Super Fami. I personally would love to see you there just to chill and oBey. There will be plenty of other vendors there, so no one will be bothering you to sell/trade. :wink:
Has this been confirmed about other vendors?  Last year there were no sellers, only trading/personal selling.  If 16-bit showed up he'd be the only seller from what I understand.  Could be a great reason to show up for those on the fence.....
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 04/12/2011, 11:20 AMHas this been confirmed about other vendors?  Last year there were no sellers, only trading/personal selling.  If 16-bit showed up he'd be the only seller from what I understand.  Could be a great reason to show up for those on the fence.....
There was a gentleman selling Lynx games.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 04/12/2011, 11:20 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/08/2011, 10:25 PM

Carlson
Has this been confirmed about other vendors?  Last year there were no sellers, only trading/personal selling.  If 16-bit showed up he'd be the only seller from what I understand.  Could be a great reason to show up for those on the fence.....
I am reading Chany's initial post where states "people selling/buying retro games" as vendors. Maybe not? Maybe it's peeps like you and me?

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Mathius on 04/12/2011, 11:48 AMI am reading Chany's initial post where states "people selling/buying retro games" as vendors. Maybe not? Maybe it's peeps like you and me?
Last year there WERE vendors. Just none of them large like in previous years when GOAT store had showed up. The largest vendor selling games last year had a giant table of Lynx games for sale. I bought Zaku from him!
--DragonmasterDan

JoshTurboTrollX

Oh yeah that is correct.  I do remember the Lynx guy selling Air Zonk....lol, I mean Zaku.

I do remember a couple, there was also a guy selling a Master System book and music.  Was pretty sweet.

My bad!

chany60126

Hey guys, as of right now there is one confirmed vendor at the VGS named Replay Vintage Games. The Lynx guy will definitely be coming back as well. I am itching to pick up a copy of Zaku for myself as well! The promoter of the event is currently in talks with other vendors, I will keep you guys posted. :)

Ash

Really excited to go in July. Looking foward to it. :dance: I am excited to see what the vendors are going to have  :)

tggodfrey

Contemplating going, maybe take my nephew.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

incrediblehark

sounds pretty cool, not much here like that in Maine :( Hope you guys have a great time!

CGQuarterly

If I didn't live all the way out in California, I would be there for sure!  A Salamander tournament sounds awesome.

Chris

chany60126

Salamander is such an awesome game. It blows the NES version away with its sharp graphics. The difficulty of the game makes it excellent for a tournament game. :)

JoshTurboTrollX

Say whatever happened to 'Roy The Sunderer'?  I met him at last years VGS, we had a blast with the multiplayer TG!!

:D

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 04/18/2011, 08:17 PMSay whatever happened to 'Roy The Sunderer'?  I met him at last years VGS, we had a blast with the multiplayer TG!!

:D
Yeah, he seems to have disappeared. There's was quite a few irregular posters on the forums who showed up last year.
--DragonmasterDan

chany60126

Hehe, Roy is a cool guy. He may be MIA here, but he can't escape my wrath since he is one of my contacts on FB. :twisted:
Yeah there were quite a few irregular posters last year. That one guy who made the snakeskin turbografx pinball controller and Bomberman arcade stick is awesome.

chany60126

The prizes for each of the tourney winners have arrived: a pre-numbered set of Turbo Views Volume 2  :)

IMG

Bernie

hmmm..  Not too far a drive from VA..  I may consider this.

hizaygizirlz

I saw adds requesting vendors for this on Craig's List.  I'm sure it will attract a few as there is still about 10 weeks until the event.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

16-bit

Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to attend this year. 

I will be in Chicago for ACEN next week though and Geekcon in Madison, WI this September.  Next year I will be back at the Midwest Gaming Classic 2012 for sure. 

Carlson

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: 16-bit on 05/13/2011, 01:16 PMUnfortunately for me, I won't be able to attend this year. 

I will be in Chicago for ACEN next week though and Geekcon in Madison, WI this September.  Next year I will be back at the Midwest Gaming Classic 2012 for sure. 

Carlson
Well holy shit, we'll see you at GeekKon in Madison!

Mathius

Quote from: 16-bit on 05/13/2011, 01:16 PMUnfortunately for me, I won't be able to attend this year. 

Carlson
Bummer... :(

chany60126

No problem Carlson, thanks for letting me know. I'm not much of an anime fan, but if you're attending ACEN, I may reconsider going.

chany60126

I just thought I'd give you an update on Turbo Fest/VGS itself. We will have a whole room almost entirely for us!! This room was closed off last year. There will be four turbo stations available for people to play. The composition of those systems will be my T-16 with CD attachment and Turbo Duo. The other two will be figured out later. I do own a few hucard converters to play PCE games.

Adjacent to the turbo stations, there will be two Neo Geo AES systems to play with a wide variety of genres to choose from, and not just fighters. We will try out a couple of LAN games for the very first time such as League Bowling, Riding Hero, and Thrash Rally.

majors

I'm still planning to hit this up, flying does not allow me a lot of options but if I can bring something to help out let me know.
TG/PCE Collection.

BlueBMW

My summer vacation plans have changed up a bit, so I've arranged to get the Thursday and Friday off before this event.  I'm planning on driving up!  :P   If any additional hardware / software is needed for the game room just let me know!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/31/2011, 09:52 PMMy summer vacation plans have changed up a bit, so I've arranged to get the Thursday and Friday off before this event.  I'm planning on driving up!  :P   If any additional hardware / software is needed for the game room just let me know!
I took the Friday beforehand off, did we want to plan any pre-show events, like a trip to Galloping Ghosts?
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/31/2011, 09:59 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/31/2011, 09:52 PMMy summer vacation plans have changed up a bit, so I've arranged to get the Thursday and Friday off before this event.  I'm planning on driving up!  :P   If any additional hardware / software is needed for the game room just let me know!
I took the Friday beforehand off, did we want to plan any pre-show events, like a trip to Galloping Ghosts?
I am game :)

chany60126

Woo-hoo!! This is great. I'm also taking Friday off. Glad to hear you're coming to show Beamer and Majors. :)

majors

Been so caught up with other cons...Anyone willing pick me up from the airport? There is a 1pm and 5:30pm arrival on Friday if one time works better for anyone. I can always take advantage of the wonderful Chicago public transit. Also, anyone getting a hotel room? I figure since it being a one day event most will just make it a day trip.
TG/PCE Collection.

JoshTurboTrollX

I work till 5pm on Friday, and most likely would be traveling in late Fri night or early Saturday morning.  I think last year we came in Saturday.   We'll be staying over till Sunday, then probably hit downtown Chicago and then head home in the afternoon.

I'd love to check out the local shenanigans after the show on Saturday!!

PS: The German Restaurant in that area has some of the tastiest beer I've ever had!!  Must hit that up again!!! :)
http://www.schnitzelplatz.com/

JoshTurboTrollX

Also I was bumming around this morning on facebook, and noticed there was no 'page' made for TurboFest.  So I created one of just the TurboFest Tour.  I hope that was ok.  Just a way to get the word out to peeps, I actually already got a message asking me about what it was.  :)

I'm thinking of just posting video's of past events, and dates of upcoming stops for the tour.  I can send invites out when I get back from work to anyone that wants to be involved in TurbobFeccler!

Also, I'm thinking of contacting someone at Geek.kon that is being held in Madison in Sept about bringing some Turbo goodness, to kind of throw together a mini turbofest to go along with whatever gaming they got going.  This'll be my first Geek.kon so we'll see if that is even a possibility.

One idea for 2012 could be our T-Shirts with a TurboFest tour 2012 - and places and dates for our 'tour'  could look something like-
March 31st 2012 - Midwest Gaming Classic, Milwaukee WI
May 14th 2012 - Too Many Games, Phoenix, AZ
July 12th 2012 - Video Game Summit. Chicago IL
Sept 10th 2012 - Geek.kon, Madison WI
etc etc.

Lemme know what you think :)

Mathius

Thumbs up for Turbo Fest Tour t-shirts!

majors

You'all need to get out of the east and party in the south! The retro section of the game room at Animazement will grow next year. For the past three years it's just been my JP Duo Turbo-wise (with 2600, Gen, NES, etc). just something to think about...might be able to get folks a hook up.

Also, MAGFest is the best east coast gaming con IMO.

Star -> TMG in Arizona? Is that right?
TG/PCE Collection.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: majors on 06/02/2011, 03:56 PMStar -> TMG in Arizona? Is that right?
No, I just made that up.  TMG is in Philly (Google search)

16-bit

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/02/2011, 10:57 AMA
Also, I'm thinking of contacting someone at Geek.kon that is being held in Madison in Sept about bringing some Turbo goodness, to kind of throw together a mini turbofest to go along with whatever gaming they got going.  This'll be my first Geek.kon so we'll see if that is even a possibility.
The guys who run Geekcon are hardcore. They showed me pics of their gameroom and they had EVERYTHING.  I really can't speak for them, but I would think they would be open to a Turbo Fest.  I am really looking forward to attending that show as a vendor and an attendee.

Also any interest in a Turbo Fest outside of the Smithsonian Museum Spring 2012 to protest the exclusion of the TG16 from the video game art exhibition?  We could all bring TurboExpresses/GTs and maybe a LT or two...LOL

Mathius

Quote from: 16-bit on 06/03/2011, 01:32 AM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/02/2011, 10:57 AMA
Also any interest in a Turbo Fest outside of the Smithsonian Museum Spring 2012 to protest the exclusion of the TG16 from the video game art exhibition?  We could all bring TurboExpresses/GTs and maybe a LT or two...LOL
This angers me to no end! The Turbografx/PC Engine, Bonk, Ys, etc. must be included! I am tired of NEC's and Hudson's love child always getting the shaft! ....Fuckers!

JoshTurboTrollX

Mathius