@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Dumbest/Stupidest/Shittiest/All-around worst Nintendo console

Started by nat, 04/30/2011, 02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one? And why?

NES
Super NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii

Otaking

I would of voted Gamecube.

I am not a big fan of the N64 but it has what many (not me) regard as the greatest games of all time: Zelda ocarina of time, Golden Eye and Mario 64.
So taking that into account even though I was never a N64 big fan I wouldn't say it's either dumb, stupid or shit.

Whoever voted for the snes is officially mega R-Tarded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

guyjin

Quote from: thrush on 09/11/2011, 10:30 PMWhat I would really like to know is, what were the thoughts of the people who voted NES or SNES?
"DERP"

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

geise

N64 all the way!  I just never got into it.  I couldn't believe nintendo was still going cartridge at that time.  Saw and played mario 64, and I didn't care for it at all.  For me it was nowhere near as fun as the 2d ones.  I never was big on Zelda or first person shooters so that pretty much sums up the N64 for me.  Oh and it has the shittiest Soldier Blade ever!  Only thing remotely good about it is Bangai-O and probably Sin&Punishment.

nat

Quote from: geise on 09/14/2011, 12:38 PMOh and it has the shittiest Soldier Blade ever! 
So true. I was excited for this game, and couldn't wait to pick it up. So disappointing.

Quote from: geise on 09/14/2011, 12:38 PMOnly thing remotely good about it is Bangai-O
True, but Bangai-O is even better on Dreamcast....
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

geise

I heard Bangai-O actually controlls better on the N64.  From reviews I've read the controll scheme on the N64 makes it a tad easier to play.  I however only own the DC version, and I think it plays fine to me. :-k  I do love the totally literal not making any sense translation on the DC version haha!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: geise on 09/14/2011, 12:38 PMN64 all the way!  I just never got into it.  I couldn't believe nintendo was still going cartridge at that time.  Saw and played mario 64, and I didn't care for it at all.  For me it was nowhere near as fun as the 2d ones.  I never was big on Zelda or first person shooters so that pretty much sums up the N64 for me.  Oh and it has the shittiest Soldier Blade ever!  Only thing remotely good about it is Bangai-O and probably Sin&Punishment.
It being catridge based was never a real issue, just a "customer perception" issue. The Neo Geo was cartridge based and at the absolute top of it's game during the N64s lifespan. Also, note that optical disks are going away with solid state re-taking over.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/16/2011, 01:30 PMIt being catridge based was never a real issue, just a "customer perception" issue. The Neo Geo was cartridge based and at the absolute top of it's game during the N64s lifespan. Also, note that optical disks are going away with solid state re-taking over. 
The problem with it being cartridge based was that it greatly limited what developers could do. A very largest N64 games like Resident Evil 2 or Conker was only 64 megabytes (512 megabits). A standard data CD could do 640 megabytes. Now admittedly, most CD games in that era a lot of that space was wasted on CGI cutscenes and unnecessary audio and things but needless to say it did limit developer freedom greatly.

The second part of this is the actual cost of the cartridges, companies like Natsume and Atlus produced some of their cartridge games in very very limited quantities because overproducing unused carts could cause huge problems for a small company since manufacturing the inventory was so high.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

Yes, but the cartridge was also an advantage in some cases. Mario 64, Zelda, and many other games would have had to have completely different level design if done on CD.

On the Playstation you either had 1) absolutely brutal load times/frequency or 2) massive repetition like Crash Bandicoot.

I mean, think of how much time you spend just walking through three rooms in Resident Evil 1. Little Mario can blast through 10 times that much shit in two seconds because as awesome as 700MB CDs are, only having 2MB of RAM (same as the PCE with Arcade Card) just sucks ass.

Don't get me wrong. The N64 was total pants and the most disapointing console ever, but the carts weren't the problem.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/16/2011, 10:12 PMYes, but the cartridge was also an advantage in some cases. Mario 64, Zelda, and many other games would have had to have completely different level design if done on CD.

On the Playstation you either had 1) absolutely brutal load times/frequency or 2) massive repetition like Crash Bandicoot.

I mean, think of how much time you spend just walking through three rooms in Resident Evil 1. Little Mario can blast through 10 times that much shit in two seconds because as awesome as 700MB CDs are, only having 2MB of RAM (same as the PCE with Arcade Card) just sucks ass.

Don't get me wrong. The N64 was total pants and the most disapointing console ever, but the carts weren't the problem.
In some cases it was definitely helpful. In other cases like with traditional RPGs, it was a huge hinderage to developing them for the platform.

Also, most disappointing console ever? Really? I mean the Atari 5200 was an absolutely unmitigated terrible disaster of a followup to the Atari 2600 for example. The 3DO had a gigantic library of third party developers and led a short and tragic life. There's lots of others that were more disappointing to me, but it's all a matter of personal opinion.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

The N64 followed up the Super Nintendo, which is one of the my all time favorite machines, and the N64 basically just sucked balls in every way. The SNES/SFC had loads of RPGs, the N64 had none. The only 2D fighters on N64 were KI and MK, which are fucking shit. Super Mario Kart was amazing, and is still one of the best racers ever, Mario Kart 64 is an ugly, random, rubber band fest for losers. Zelda: TOoT: didn't like it anywhere near as much as Link's Awakening and Link to the Past. It was very very brown and I kept getting lost. Yoshi's Island: Best game ever made. Yoshi's Story: A C- at best. I still think Waverace 64 and Super Mario 64 are really really good, but that was about it for me. Sin and Punishment was too little too late. By that time I was knee deep in Saturn and loving it.

The 5200 didn't disappoint me because I've never liked an Atari console aside from the Lynx (which was rather incredible). When the 2600 was current I either played Colecovision or stayed at the arcade.
IMG

geise

Hell yes!  Another lover of the Lynx.  I loved that hand held.  Atari actually did a good job hardware wise with it.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: geise on 09/19/2011, 02:19 PMHell yes!  Another lover of the Lynx.  I loved that hand held.  Atari actually did a good job hardware wise with it.
Except the size of the first model. It's the Atari 5200 of handhelds.
--DragonmasterDan

TheClash603

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/19/2011, 03:13 PM
Quote from: geise on 09/19/2011, 02:19 PMHell yes!  Another lover of the Lynx.  I loved that hand held.  Atari actually did a good job hardware wise with it.
All of this bad mouthing of the Atari 5200 needs to come to an end.  The controller wasn't very good, I can admit that, but the console has a great variety of games and is one of the most under-appreciated systems of all-time.  The Angry Video Game Nerd does a video saying something is bad, and all of a sudden a generation of brainwashed wanna-be retro gamers all "know" that the system sucks.  Maybe if more people actually played the system, they'd understand how great it was.  Pitfall 2 on the Atari 5200 is one of my favorite games ever, and I played it a hell of a lot more than I ever played Super Mario Brothers.  Additionally, there were some really good ports of classic arcade games that were not to be missed for the system.

SignOfZeta

Wasn't the 5200 version of Donkey Kong really good? I seem to remember that.
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/19/2011, 03:59 PM
All of this bad mouthing of the Atari 5200 needs to come to an end.  The controller wasn't very good, I can admit that, but the console has a great variety of games and is one of the most under-appreciated systems of all-time. 
And virtually all of them were already/eventually released on Atari's XE computers, with better controls.

majors

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/19/2011, 03:59 PM
All of this bad mouthing of the Atari 5200 needs to come to an end.
All the bad mouthing the model 1 Lynx needs to end. Screw the model 2, fat ugly POS...I have two original models and still think it's sexy. (sorry, was this a Nintendo thread?)
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/19/2011, 03:59 PMAll of this bad mouthing of the Atari 5200 needs to come to an end.  The controller wasn't very good, I can admit that, but the console has a great variety of games and is one of the most under-appreciated systems of all-time.  The Angry Video Game Nerd does a video saying something is bad, and all of a sudden a generation of brainwashed wanna-be retro gamers all "know" that the system sucks.  Maybe if more people actually played the system, they'd understand how great it was.  Pitfall 2 on the Atari 5200 is one of my favorite games ever, and I played it a hell of a lot more than I ever played Super Mario Brothers.  Additionally, there were some really good ports of classic arcade games that were not to be missed for the system.
Alright, let me be specific and state that the 5200 comparison was due to the size of it.

Anyway, here's why there's so much frequent bashing of the 5200. first off the controller is the worst controller ever. It broke very quickly, the analog joysticks don't center themselves (the boot just doesn't work), the buttons break, it's not very comfortable to hold. The list can go on and on.

Second off, the controller directly effected your ability to play games. In Frogger if I want to move forward I don't just move the joystick in the direct I want like any other port, because of the lousy non-centering controller I have to press a button to confirm I actually intended to move so I don't go running into traffic. The same situation exists with Q-Bert.

Oh and the system is hilariously gigantic. Also, Pitfall 2 is good for 5200 (I have it and the 2600 version), but I'd say by in large the Colecovision had better arcade ports from the same period. No, it didn't have Pac-Man but it had a much bigger library of quality games.

Yes, the 5200 had some great games, but it came with a huge price of using that awful controller and finding the space to put the damn system out since it's so massive.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/19/2011, 04:05 PMWasn't the 5200 version of Donkey Kong really good? I seem to remember that.
There was one for the 400/800 that got ported via repro carts to 5200, but there was no officially commercially released version for 5200. You're thinking of the colecovision port.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

No, I'm thinking of the repro, evidently. I have weird friends who actually buy/play this crap.

I had a Coleco and DK. It was pretty good (obliterates the 2600 ver.) but it lacks the same level almost all the ports lack. IIRC the 5200 version I played had it.
IMG

TheClash603

Until I got my Gameboy, my 5200 was my most played system, I played the thing hours daily.  Oddly enough, I never once broke or had an issue with my controllers...  I only cited controller issues because most other people say they have them, so everyone can't be lying.