Previous topic - Next topic

Which one? And why?

NES
Super NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii

Arkhan Asylum

the VB to me is one of those novelty things.  All in all it sucks, but its because of the library.  I really liked a few games on it and had fun with it growing up.  I was one of those retards that took it places.  I even took it to school and laid on the ground outside during recess and played it. 

I think if the game selection was better, and maybe if they chose different colors for it... it would have been way better.

black with blue or green wouldve been best!

Its like the Vectrex of the 90s!  Great idea, but it didn't catch on.

... though, the Vectrex pummels the VB... lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arjak

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/09/2011, 06:13 PMThe VB was pretty shitty, but a couple of the games were pretty good, the controler is actually pretty great, and it only gives headaches to weaklings.

The 32x however...just sucked.
True, the 32X did suck, but I still prefer it to the VB.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/09/2011, 06:14 PMBTW, these people who say the NES and SNES sucked worse than the N64 are out of thier fucking minds.
Quoted for truth. I like the N64, but the NES and SNES pwn it into oblivion as far as a game library that you want to play again and again is concerned. There are so many incredibly good games for them that it gives me a headache. The N64, not so much.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Arkhan Asylum

the 32x was a victim of retarded design making it a not so fun programming event.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Blame the Genesis for the way it was designed, it couldn't really work much differently.  I suppose the CPUs could be easier to deal with, but the way it hooks up MUST be like that.  The 32X also suffered shitty marketing and shitty timing.  Oh, and mostly shitty games.

roflmao

Yeah, the 32X is the only system I ever purchased new ... and returned the same day.  Man, what a disappointment that system was.  Looking back, I only played Doom on it, but it was such an awful port considering I had a computer that could blow it out of the water in the other room.  Perhaps it was a poor decision at the time, but I honestly don't feel any regret for getting my money back for that pile of suck.

marktheshark

Sorry for bumping this old thread. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Anyways. Even though the N64 aged pretty poorly today, it still holds a special place in my heart. The Gamecube, however, is the 1st system that disappointed the hell out of me during it's lifespan. I got it back in Christmas 2002 & within less than a year, I was already wanting to get a PS2 instead.

The controller is good for quite a few games, but it's just a hassle playing any fighters or even some Game Boy games with it. The small D-pad & the weird button placement & size is guilty of this.

Some genres on the Gamecube aren't represented much better than on the N64. There was like, only one 2D fighter on the system (not including the ones in compilations.) The shoot em' ups were still poorly represented. Besides Ikaruga & Chaos Field, there just wasn't much else. The RPG library on Gamecube isn't much better than on the N64. The only ones that were noteworthy are Tales of Symphonia & maybe Lost Kingdoms 1 & 2.

Joe Redifer

It always amuses me greatly that this thread exists.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: marktheshark on 08/07/2011, 01:50 AMThe RPG library on Gamecube isn't much better than on the N64. The only ones that were noteworthy are Tales of Symphonia & maybe Lost Kingdoms 1 & 2. 
Baiten Katos and Baiten Kaitos Origins are both pretty good. If you're into strategy RPGs, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is spectacular.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: marktheshark on 08/07/2011, 01:50 AMSome genres on the Gamecube aren't represented much better than on the N64. There was like, only one 2D fighter on the system (not including the ones in compilations.) The shoot em' ups were still poorly represented. Besides Ikaruga & Chaos Field, there just wasn't much else. The RPG library on Gamecube isn't much better than on the N64. The only ones that were noteworthy are Tales of Symphonia & maybe Lost Kingdoms 1 & 2.  
It really depends on what you count as a 2D fighter. Soul Calibur II is a 2D fighter that simply uses 3D graphics, like SFIV. The PSP 3D version of Drac X isn't a 3D game.

What did the N64 have for proper shooters other than these?

Dezaemon 3D -looks like Layer Section II for 32X
Star Soldier 64
Bangaio -if it counts

Gamecube at least has-

Ikaruga
Shikigami No Shiro II
Chaos Field
Radio Allergy
Star Soldier
Space Raiders -if it counts

The N64 only has Quest 64 as far as anything that comes close to a RPG. The Gamecube has some proper ones that are considered good by many people, plus it has PSO, which many not be a regular RPG, but it is one of the greatest games ever made.

The way that I look at it, even if the same number of games in a genre is available for two consoles, if one console has good to great ones and the other has mediocre to poor ones, then the libraries are worlds apart. Plus, even if you're talking comparable quality, when dealing with such small numbers, 1 title versus 3 means a 200% larger library, which is a big difference.

The fact that the GC supports GBA games is and really was a big deal at the time. The N64 never officially had anything comparable.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I wrote up a post similar to CrackTiger's earlier today but the internet ate it.

The GC has Soul Calibur 2, CvS 2, a bunch of (better than you'd think) Naruto and DBZ games. It also has Kinikuman, which I fucking LOVE. Obviously that's no PS2-grade selection of fighters, but it kicks the shit out of what the N64 has; wrestling and Mortal Kombat.

Shooters are a similar thing, a small selection but vastly superior to what the N64 has (basically nothing).

As far as I can tell the N64 is loved by people of a specific age mostly because of the timing and maybe Zelda tOoT (which is hugely overrated, IMO). Those same kids who were in that perfect age bracket were also trying to "grow up" when the GC was released so they though it sucked compared to other "mature" systems like PS2 and Xbox.

Objectively the only thing the N64 really excelled at were the Pokemon games (which, without the GBC games to link with, were nearly useless) Mario, and Zelda (sorta). It really just pretty much sucked at everything else.

The GC on the other hand...while the volume of good software is low, its certainly there, and the hardware itself is great, IMO, dead reliable, compact, plays all GB games made up until that point, a very solid controller, 480p output.

The GC sometimes reminds me of the PSP. If you go to Target or wherever and look at the PSP selection you'd think that system was the biggest piece of crap ever. There isn't anything in the shops except Madden, SOCOM, and Bratz. Its hell. If you look at my game shelf at home though you'd only see about 15 games, but (almost) all of them are fucking great. The same sort of thing happened to the GC. It took a long-ass time, but over the lifespan of the system some really great things showed up. It was just easy to forget them because they went out of print and were never seen again.

There are also a few good JP-only GC games. Mobile Suit Gundam: Senshitachi no Kiseki (aka: The Ace Pilots or The Pilot's Locust) is every bit as good than any of the PS2 Gundam games (much better than many). PCE fans would also like Bomberman Land 2, which for some reason stayed in Japan while the shitty B-Man games like Jetters were localized instead.
IMG

Lilgrafx

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/07/2011, 07:49 AM
Quote from: marktheshark on 08/07/2011, 01:50 AMThe RPG library on Gamecube isn't much better than on the N64. The only ones that were noteworthy are Tales of Symphonia & maybe Lost Kingdoms 1 & 2.
I loved the paper Mario games

Baiten Katos and Baiten Kaitos Origins are both pretty good. If you're into strategy RPGs, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is spectacular.
I loved the paper Mario games

blueraven

thrush

I agree with basically everything Sign of Zeta said (the only exception being that I think it's Mario 64 that's over-rated).  I particularly liked the comparison with the PSP.  I would still, personally, take the N64 over the VB, though, as the latter gives me a headache.  That may say more about me than the system, though, as most early handhelds give me headaches.

VestCunt

I finally cast a vote for the N64.  I like it, it has some good games, and it's strong in a few genres (multiplayers, racing, FPS), but I have to admit it's not Nintendo's finest effort.

It's similar to the 3DO:  the 3DO library suffered because it was the first system really capable of pulling off flashy FMV crap that was all the rage, while the N64 was loaded with ill-conceived 3-D attempts because of its advanced capabilities.  It's probably safe to say that any system swept up in some new technology craze will get hosed in the games department.  Like how the first talkies sucked because they abandoned the silent movie format that had long been perfected and stretched to the limits, trading it for static scenes with actors standing around a hidden microphone. 
Topic Adjourned.

SignOfZeta

As bad as the N64 was, it's 1000 better than the 3DO. That thing just totally sucked.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/09/2011, 06:52 PMAs bad as the N64 was, it's 1000 better than the 3DO. That thing just totally sucked.
Was the 3DO worth the $700 asking price bitd? No sir! But, in today's prices? Yes as long as you buy it along with Star Control II. That game just simply rocks!

VestCunt

Captain Quazar!

Apparently Zeta is a fun hater.   [-X
Topic Adjourned.

JoshTurboTrollX

3D0 > N64

I can only think of 4 games that could be considered RPG's for the N64
Paper Mario, Shadowgate 64, Ogre Battle 64, and Quest 64.

While the GC didn't have the kind of RPG's that PS2 fans enjoyed, the ones that it DID get were much better than ^that^ offering....
check http://www.amazon.com/The-GameCubes-best-RPGs/lm/2BW0RPCYCMWZX for some good gamecube RPG's for cheap!
Quote from: guest on 08/07/2011, 02:34 PMThe N64 only has Quest 64 as far as anything that comes close to a RPG. The Gamecube has some proper ones that are considered good by many people, plus it has PSO, which many not be a regular RPG, but it is one of the greatest games ever made.

The way that I look at it, even if the same number of games in a genre is available for two consoles, if one console has good to great ones and the other has mediocre to poor ones, then the libraries are worlds apart. Plus, even if you're talking comparable quality, when dealing with such small numbers, 1 title versus 3 means a 200% larger library, which is a big difference.
N64 had 387 releases.
GameCube had over 600 releases.

People that piss on the GC probably didn't give it a fair chance.  My point of view it was Nintendo busting their asses to try to win back the masses that they shit on with the N64.  The N64 left such a rancid taste in peoples mouths that the GC suffered.  Similar to what happened to the Sega Saturn after the Sega CD/ 32X garbage.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

I'd rather play SSFIIX with various 3DO pads than almost every N64 game. Same with Policenauts and Lucienne's Quest.

Mario 64 and Shadowman 64 would probably be enough to tip the scales for me though. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/10/2011, 12:34 PMI can only think of 4 games that could be considered RPG's for the N64
What about Aidyn Chronicles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidyn_Chronicles:_The_First_Mage
--DragonmasterDan

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/10/2011, 09:00 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/10/2011, 12:34 PMI can only think of 4 games that could be considered RPG's for the N64
What about Aidyn Chronicles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidyn_Chronicles:_The_First_Mage
Oh yes I totally forgot about that pile of broken ass that made Virtua Hydlide look alright.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2011, 08:03 PMI'd rather play SSFIIX with various 3DO pads than almost every N64 game.
The 3DO version of SSFIIX is decent, but not being able to actually play it due to every 3DO controller I've ever had access to being a stinking piece of shit makes it far more frustrating that if it were simply a bad game. The experience...is maddening.

QuoteSame with Policenauts and Lucienne's Quest.
Policenauts yes, Lucienne's Quest...please.

I know why people defend the piece of shit that is 3DO (they are being contrary and grown up and anti-Nintendo and all that stupid shit). What I can't understand is why they never mention Return Fire, which is clearly the best game on the system.

Once a machine is as old as hell and can be had for nothing and tons of stuff has been ported here and there and everywhere, a mediocre version of Street Fighter is irrelevant. I can buy a perfect version on Playstation for $3, who gives a shit? What matters now are the things that can only be played on 3DO. Policenauts is on PS and SS, a fan translation exists on PS. I'm sure as hell not going to keep a 3DO around for that. I'm also not going to keep a Jag around for Tempest 2000, or Rayman.

The 3DO doesn't have the only version of Return Fire but it does have the best, and this is highly unlikely to ever change.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/07/2011, 07:49 AM
add in Tales of Symphonia, and WindWaker/TwilightPrincess if you count those as RPGs, and MAYBE Star Fox Adventures and then CONGRATS

you named the entire RPG library.
Oh wait, and Crystal Chronicles, cause that was awesome.

yeah.

lol

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/11/2011, 12:44 AMPolicenauts yes, Lucienne's Quest...please.

I know why people defend the piece of shit that is 3DO (they are being contrary and grown up and anti-Nintendo and all that stupid shit). What I can't understand is why they never mention Return Fire, which is clearly the best game on the system.
The games I've played the most on 3DO are Twisted! and Zhadnost with friends. With that said, I have Return Fire and its expansion disc, have played through Japanese Policenauts, and played through Luciennes Quest. And yes, the N64 is a better system than the 3DO. But the 3DO does have those unique FMV games that it either has the best version of, or that simply were not ported to other systems.
--DragonmasterDan

csgx1

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/11/2011, 12:44 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/10/2011, 08:03 PMI'd rather play SSFIIX with various 3DO pads than almost every N64 game.
The 3DO version of SSFIIX is decent, but not being able to actually play it due to every 3DO controller I've ever had access to being a stinking piece of shit makes it far more frustrating that if it were simply a bad game. The experience...is maddening.
N64 > 3DO > Jaguar

I voted for the N64.  I don't think it's a bad system but not as good of a game selection compared to other Nintendo consoles.  N64 is better than the VB but I guess we're not talking about portables.

I do agree, the original 3DO controller is crap and makes playing SSF2T a chore.  I use a Panasonic M2 testing controller that works great with SSF2T.

N64 and 3DO are still a lot better then the Jaguar.  The Jaguar is the only system that I've bought and sold twice over the years because I was led to believe that there were some decent games.  Never again.  For me, there's not a single decent game on the Jaguar worth playing.

blueraven

Quote from: csgx1 on 08/11/2011, 01:44 PMN64 > 3DO > Jaguar
N64 > Jaguar = 3DO

The 3D0 was a total crapfest. Way of the Warrior is quite possibly the worst fighter ever. If Star Control 2, Fifa and Gex are what you are basing all of your rankings on, then its a 2.5 or 3 game system at best. The Jaguar has AvP, which is quite possibly the only redeeming point of the console, so I'll put it even with the 3DO.

Throw that shit out the window, or sell it for PC Engine games.

I voted for Gamecube.

NecroPhile

Quote from: blueraven on 08/18/2011, 04:43 PMWay of the Warrior is quite possibly the worst fighter ever.
Worse than kilt fireballs?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 08/18/2011, 04:48 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 08/18/2011, 04:43 PMWay of the Warrior is quite possibly the worst fighter ever.
Worse than kilt fireballs?
You mean Kasumi Ninja?

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 08/18/2011, 05:04 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 08/18/2011, 05:02 PMYou mean Kasumi Ninja?
Yep, that's the train wreck.
The controls in Way Of The Warrior are horrible.

OK Kasumi Ninja = WOTW

At least you can execute the special and finishing moves.

This doesn't mean I want to play either.

SignOfZeta

It's brave to use the term "worst fighter ever". Obviously the stuff on Jag and 3DO are top tier garbage, there have been a LOT of fighters released.

I think Fight For Life was pretty fucking bad. Even worse then Final Fight Revenge and Shin O Ken.
IMG

csgx1

Quote from: blueraven on 08/18/2011, 04:43 PMThe Jaguar has AvP, which is quite possibly the only redeeming point of the console, so I'll put it even with the 3DO.
AvP was one of the reasons why I picked up a Jaguar system.  I didn't like AvP and it was not a good enough reason for me to keep a Jaguar system.  FPS are not my type of games, but I thought Killing Time on the 3DO was more entertaining.

VestCunt

Quote from: blueraven on 08/18/2011, 04:43 PMThe 3D0 was a total crapfest. Way of the Warrior is quite possibly the worst fighter ever. If Star Control 2, Fifa and Gex are what you are basing all of your rankings on, then its a 2.5 or 3 game system at best. The Jaguar has AvP, which is quite possibly the only redeeming point of the console, so I'll put it even with the 3DO.

Throw that shit out the window, or sell it for PC Engine games.
Ouch.  That's quite the scathing review.

The 3DO has a small but respectable library of good games.  Maybe many of them are PC ports and maybe most of the originals were later ported to Playstation.  I don't know and I don't care.  I'm not interested in playing Playstation/Saturn versions of 3DO games just like I'm not interested in playing Genesis versions of Master System games or the Genesis/SNES versions of Turbo games. 

I'm not saying the 3DO doesn't have shit tons of terrible games, but its ratio is a lot better than the Jaguar.  This guy does a good job of sifting through the crap and finding the few dozen games worth playing:  http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/TOP%2040%203do%20GAMES.html

Every few weeks I buy one of these "top 40" games on ebay for $5-10 and they're generally pretty awesome.  I remember trying to buy the handful of good Jaguar games and eventually losing patience because Atari Karts and Iron Soldier 2 were $50-100 and even plain old Doom was $20.  My opinion would be different if the 3DO was outrageously expensive, but I've gotten a pretty good bang for my buck out of this maligned old console.
Topic Adjourned.

OldRover

I actually kind of liked Kasumi Ninja... it was quirky as hell and had some pretty stupid control issues, but hearing "Show No Mercy" instead of "Finish Him" was kind of nifty, and finding the *real* final boss was relatively unique in concept. There are obviously MUCH better fighters out there, but it wasn't a total loss... I actually liked it WAY better than that stupid Double Dragon fighter on the same system.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: OldRover on 08/20/2011, 04:23 PMI actually kind of liked Kasumi Ninja... it was quirky as hell and had some pretty stupid control issues, but hearing "Show No Mercy" instead of "Finish Him" was kind of nifty, and finding the *real* final boss was relatively unique in concept. There are obviously MUCH better fighters out there, but it wasn't a total loss... I actually liked it WAY better than that stupid Double Dragon fighter on the same system.
It's nowhere near as bad as "Fight for Life".

A somewhat interesting side story to all of this is a few years ago I was running a Linux User Group, and a guy who was a semi-regular to our meetings showed up with a Jaguar T-shirt, I thought that was kind of unusual and asked him about it.

He was involved in the production of a large number of games for "High Voltage" including "Fight For Life", upon learning this I showed him the Seanbaby site and he was directly involved in the production of several of the games listed as the 20 worst (see link http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm.htm ) .
--DragonmasterDan

Opethian

IMG

henrycsc

Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

nat

I haven't looked at this thread in forever, it's great to see the N64 so far ahead in votes than all the others.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

thrush

I just reread this entire thread.  I really like the variety of view points on here ... I agree with at least one thing everyone has said, and disagree with at least one thing!

About the only thing I want to add to the N64 debate is that I personally have no problem with cartridges (and never have had); that's actually one of the things I liked about the system bitd.  I'll also say that LoZ:OoT was the first 3D game of any kind (including Wolfenstein & Doom) that I completely enjoyed.  Mario 64 just feels empty to me.  But, I do believe the N64 controller is the devil.  Granted, the DC controller & the Wii remote have their problems but they have their good points, too.  I guess I never played enough N64 games to be introduced to its good points.  Just looking at it, it's almost nightmare fuel, like Cthulhu incarnated as an electronic device....  But then I favour simplicity in interface.  My favourite controllers by far are the SNES & Turbo pads tied, with the PS2 in second: all three get the job done with minimum fuss and are easy on my hands & wrists.

What I would really like to know is, what were the thoughts of the people who voted NES or SNES?

I guess I've achieved enough emotional distance from the console wars of yesteryear that I can appreciate just about every older console now ... or maybe it's just a measure of my disappointment with the contemporary offerings, I don't know.  But, I am really happy to say that there is room in my den for the 2600, SMS, NES, & Turbo to sit side-by-side ... once I get together the dough to get all of them, that is.  ^_^

Mathius

The N64 controller is one thing I really like about the system. It controls well, and is very comfortable in my hands.

SuperDeadite

Honestly speaking the Wii, N64, GC, SNES are all terrible systems with shit games for the most part.
  NES and original Gameboy are the only Nintendo systems to have good quality balanced libraries. 
 Note the keyword "BALANCED."  But N64 is clearly the worst just for the terrible terrible quality video.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

nat

I agree with this, if we're talking sheer numbers. I think the Wii is a pretty decent system, with a library that is mainly filled with shovelware. That said, it has some great games, but they are few and far between by comparison.

The GC library is even worse. Indeed, I'm hard pressed to come up with even three extraordinary GC games.

The N64 is all this, and built on poorly designed & crippled hardware to boot.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Mathius

I don't see how anyone can hate on the SNES. It's a console full of epicness. :) It even had a pretty decent launch lineup with SMW, Actraiser, Super Castlevania IV, etc.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Mathius on 09/12/2011, 12:23 AMI don't see how anyone can hate on the SNES. It's a console full of epicness. :) It even had a pretty decent launch lineup with SMW, Actraiser, Super Castlevania IV, etc.
Yeah, I don't get it either. There is a lot of that on this forum though.

More importantly, who cares if the system has a lot of shovelware? All that matters are the good games, unless you are some sort of completist nut job, in which case you've got bigger problems.

The NES is swimming in shovelware, yet is the most highly regarded Nintendo system. Why? Because when the fanboys first played it they had not yet developed the high standards they have now. Now they complain about Bratz and Army Men but they let Platoon and M.U.S.C.LE. slide because they were 11 years old at the time.

I've never played a Game Cube game as terrible as Transformers: The Mystery of Convoy. I'm sure there is one, I just haven't played it. Instead I played Killer 7, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Mystic Heroes, Pikman, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero,R4: Racing, Gundam: The Ace Pilot, Mario Sunshine, Kinikuman, Bomberman Land 2, Godzilla, PN03, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball, Alien Hominid (GC ver. is best), Custom Robo, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Metroid Prime...jezus, even as I type that I find the lost impressive. That's a really good list of games, I left out almost all of the sports and multi-platform stuff.

Never mind the Tom Clancy shit, the EA games, the Barbie stuff, that shit doesn't matter. We'd never let Appare! Gateball or Energy define our perception of the PCE, so why do we fixate on the worst stuff when it comes to the Cube?
IMG

OldRover

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/12/2011, 02:02 AMWe'd never let Appare! Gateball or Energy define our perception of the PCE, so why do we fixate on the worst stuff when it comes to the Cube?
This is so true.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: nat on 09/11/2011, 11:19 PMThe GC library is even worse. Indeed, I'm hard pressed to come up with even three extraordinary GC games.
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/12/2011, 02:02 AMI've never played a Game Cube game as terrible as Transformers: The Mystery of Convoy. I'm sure there is one, I just haven't played it. Instead I played Killer 7, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Mystic Heroes, Pikman, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero,R4: Racing, Gundam: The Ace Pilot, Mario Sunshine, Kinikuman, Bomberman Land 2, Godzilla, PN03, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball, Alien Hominid (GC ver. is best), Custom Robo, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Metroid Prime...jezus, even as I type that I find the lost impressive. That's a really good list of games, I left out almost all of the sports and multi-platform stuff.

Never mind the Tom Clancy shit, the EA games, the Barbie stuff, that shit doesn't matter. We'd never let Appare! Gateball or Energy define our perception of the PCE, so why do we fixate on the worst stuff when it comes to the Cube?
PSO I,II, III - Crystal Chronicles, Four Swords (Link to the Past Arcade), Tales of Symphonia, Skies Legends, Baten Kaitos, Fire Emblem, the only US release of Ikaruga.....

Hell, it even had Metal Gear Solid special edition, another good game.

If I had to rank the Nintendo releases as far as quality libraries, it would look like this:
BEST-
SNES
NES
Wii
GC
N64
WORST
With the GC having a pretty good library, it really makes the N64 look like the useless piece of shit it was...

SignOfZeta

I forgot about Pac Man Vs. on GC. That thing is the business. One of the most fun multi-player games I've ever played, right up there with Death Tank Zwei and Saturn Bomberman.
IMG