The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
IMG
Main Menu

Galloping Ghost Arcade

Started by DHG Hunter, 05/25/2011, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHG Hunter

I posted a video of Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield, IL (near Chicago) on YouTube:
For those of you that may not be familiar with the arcade, they were responsible for the dozen or so arcades in the Retroids room at this year's Midwest Gaming Classic, as well as the new arcade fighter they've been working on, Dark Presence.

PCE fans will probably notice a few familiar games in the 200+ game inventory including Splatterhouse, Atomic Punk 2 (Bomberman arcade), Aero Fighters, and more.

I definitely recommend the arcade if you get the opportunity to go!  :)

Later.

chany60126

Thanks for plugging Galloping Ghost Arcade. That place is the best thing that has ever happened to Chicagoland aside from teh White Sox winning the world series in '05. hehe

In all seriousness, that place is awesome. They have got an amazing assortment of retro arcades. It's the best arcade I have ever been to, and I highly recommend a visit if you're anywhere near Illinois. There aren't too many places where you can still find Street Fighter 1, Galaga 88, Splatterhouse etc. Once you pay the fee upfront at the cash register, you can play as long as you want!

For those of you attending the Video Game Summit / Turbo Fest July 16th (https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9558.msg167225#new), it is about 15 miles away from the convention center.

Keranu

Been meaning to take a trip up there, sounds fun!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SignOfZeta

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Its awesome! There is so much shit there that I forgot even existed. I beat Altered Beast for the first time in 20 years. I also played Samurai Showdown VI for the first time. I...sort of forgot it even existed. I kind of like it!

A five hour trip each way and totally worth it.

The only problem with this arcade (aside from the total lack of Pinball, which I know they are working on) is same problem that %99 of all non-Japanese arcades have. The controls on the Street Fighter machines are either really bad or totally broken. I feel bad complaining about this when the rest of the arcade is so fucking fantastic but...come on. Joysticks aren't expensive. They just aren't. Even the best shit in the world is like...$20 or less per stick. The mediocre stuff (better than broken stuff) isn't even half that.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/26/2011, 01:07 AMThe only problem with this arcade (aside from the total lack of Pinball, which I know they are working on) is same problem that %99 of all non-Japanese arcades have. The controls on the Street Fighter machines are either really bad or totally broken. I feel bad complaining about this when the rest of the arcade is so fucking fantastic but...come on. Joysticks aren't expensive. They just aren't. Even the best shit in the world is like...$20 or less per stick. The mediocre stuff (better than broken stuff) isn't even half that.
You'd be surprised how many arcade owners are too lazy to repair machines.  Theres this little hole in the wall by my house with a Raiden cabinet (one that says NOT FOR SALE IN USA. IF YOU'RE PLAYING THIS IN USA YOURE BREAKING LAWS, lol)

The controls are all cocked up, and I told the guy I'd fix it for free so I can play it, and he said NO. THE GAMES NOT WORTH MY TIME.

I may descend through the vents at night and roll it out the back door.

Cedar Point (amusement park) has an awesome arcade with tons of old games.  i was just there Tuesday and played:

Insa... I mean Berzerk
Gorf
Defender
Wizard of Wor
Robotron
Asteroids DELUXE (woo!)
and a buncha other oldies.  They had Galaxian and galaga too!

and even some old ass stuff like Combat from the 70s.

I took some pics with my phone that came out kinda lame, but Ima post them eventually.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: DHG Hunter on 05/25/2011, 09:24 PMPCE fans will probably notice a few familiar games in the 200+ game inventory including Splatterhouse, Atomic Punk 2 (Bomberman arcade), Aero Fighters, and more.
You left out Cadash, unless they since removed it (which would make me sad).
--DragonmasterDan

DHG Hunter

Cadash is still there.  :)

Later.

TR0N

Quote from: chany60126 on 05/25/2011, 11:51 PMThanks for plugging Galloping Ghost Arcade. That place is the best thing that has ever happened to Chicagoland aside from teh White Sox winning the world series in '05. hehe

In all seriousness, that place is awesome. They have got an amazing assortment of retro arcades. It's the best arcade I have ever been to, and I highly recommend a visit if you're anywhere near Illinois. There aren't too many places where you can still find Street Fighter 1, Galaga 88, Splatterhouse etc. Once you pay the fee upfront at the cash register, you can play as long as you want!

For those of you attending the Video Game Summit / Turbo Fest July 16th (https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9558.msg167225#new), it is about 15 miles away from the convention center.
Talk about a trip down memory lane i notice that arcade had alot of,neo-geo mvs cabs as well.To bad there's nothing like that in md all that is left is a chuck'ie cheese sadly enough......
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TR0N on 05/31/2011, 05:26 AMTalk about a trip down memory lane i notice that arcade had alot of,neo-geo mvs cabs as well.To bad there's nothing like that in md all that is left is a chuck'ie cheese sadly enough......
the chuck e cheese by me has (aside from good food, lol), galaga, pac man, and donkey kong!
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2011, 12:01 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 05/31/2011, 05:26 AMTalk about a trip down memory lane i notice that arcade had alot of,neo-geo mvs cabs as well.To bad there's nothing like that in md all that is left is a chuck'ie cheese sadly enough......
the chuck e cheese by me has (aside from good food, lol), galaga, pac man, and donkey kong!
Around here it has the useal either it has lightgun games or racing titles.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

apachacha

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2011, 10:10 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/26/2011, 01:07 AMThe only problem with this arcade (aside from the total lack of Pinball, which I know they are working on) is same problem that %99 of all non-Japanese arcades have. The controls on the Street Fighter machines are either really bad or totally broken. I feel bad complaining about this when the rest of the arcade is so fucking fantastic but...come on. Joysticks aren't expensive. They just aren't. Even the best shit in the world is like...$20 or less per stick. The mediocre stuff (better than broken stuff) isn't even half that.
You'd be surprised how many arcade owners are too lazy to repair machines.  Theres this little hole in the wall by my house with a Raiden cabinet (one that says NOT FOR SALE IN USA. IF YOU'RE PLAYING THIS IN USA YOURE BREAKING LAWS, lol)

The controls are all cocked up, and I told the guy I'd fix it for free so I can play it, and he said NO. THE GAMES NOT WORTH MY TIME.

I may descend through the vents at night and roll it out the back door.

Cedar Point (amusement park) has an awesome arcade with tons of old games.  i was just there Tuesday and played:

Insa... I mean Berzerk
Gorf
Defender
Wizard of Wor
Robotron
Asteroids DELUXE (woo!)

I took some pics with my phone that came out kinda lame, but Ima post them eventually.
It's.....not worth HIS time for you to fix it yourself, for free ?

What ?

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah I don't know apparently he would have to stand and supervise me the whole time I work to make sure I'm not stealing quarters (empty the machine, duhrrr), stealing parts, or planting explosives.

When really all I am going to do is flip the control panel over, and clean the contacts on the joystick so you can go up and to the left.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2011, 10:10 AMCedar Point (amusement park) has an awesome arcade with tons of old games.  i was just there Tuesday and played:

Insa... I mean Berzerk
Gorf
Defender
Wizard of Wor
Robotron
Asteroids DELUXE (woo!)

The last time I was at Cedar Point was...well, it will be 20 years ago this summer. Back in the day their arcade was fucking incredible. They still had lots of electromechanical stuff from the 60s, as well as pretty much everything else.

So the arcade is still there? That's fairly impressive. I would have thought they'd get rid of it. Do they have anything newer, like Planet Harriers or KOF XIII? I imagine not.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Theyve got some newer stuff

They have two ... TWO

virtual on cabinets.  Holy fafdoasfdoi  TWO OF THEM.

and alot of other new stuff

its actually a nice as hell arcade.

some of that electromechanical craps still there too, btw.

majors

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/01/2011, 12:36 PMDo they have anything newer, like Planet Harriers or KOF XIII? I imagine not.
They fixed that, XIII is there now. Planet Harriers?! Saw that once at an auction but the controls were bust...only got to see the attact screen/demo.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)