PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

TG/PCE/Duo Boss Appreciation Thread

Started by pc_kwajalein, 01/21/2013, 04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pc_kwajalein

In the US and Canada, Boss Appreciation Day is usually on the 16th of October... but we're gonna start a tad bit early this year.  :) As many of you know, being a supervisor or boss isn't exactly a cake job. The pay might be a little (or a lot) better, but the responsibilities definitely increase as does accountability.

This is especially true for video game bosses. As the game's protagonist advances from stage to stage, slaughtering lesser grunt enemies and leveling up his/her attack powers, bosses have the task of contending with a stronger, more confident protagonist. Even with higher amounts of health and enhanced firepower, bosses face a tough chore against the game's hero. Even worse is the fact that should a boss be victorious, the hero can just use a continue and initiate the fight once more.

Yeah, the life of a video game boss is a double-edged sword. So in this topic, we'll share the TG/PCE/Duo bosses we've all come to love and/or respect.

One boss that immediately pops up in my mind is the ballerina on Bonk's Revenge. During my TG-16 infancy this boss was responsible for taking at least 2 of my lives during battle. It wasn't enough for her to spin around the screen, kicking up snowballs but occasionally she'd kick me in the face with the blades of her ice skates.  :evil: 

IMG

Over time, I learned her pattern and began defeating her without too much hassle. But I have to hand it to her, for awhile she literally skated circles around me and killed me quite a few times.

I'll come up with more later. Any bosses you wish to give a mention to?
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

PukeSter

Jagu from the Legendary Axe. He's definitely the hardest boss in the game, as well as being one of the few bosses thats not an enemy or two. He's quite a novelty as well, probably the largest boss in any game at the time. You have to conserve your 100% power hacks well, and try not to get jumped on. An excellent final boss to a very fun Castlevania clone. :)

seieienbu

I wanted a TG16 specifically because of how cool I thought Jagu looked in this commercial.
I played Legendary Axe again somewhat recently.  I was surprised to find?  That asshole still looks cool as hell!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

China Warrior.

Old Man.

BRUTAL.

'nuff said.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

tggodfrey

Darm of Ys Book II.  To this day I still swear at him.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

roflmao

Tatsujin

they think he's a righteous boss.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

soop

That was good Tats :)

I'm gonna go for the cat ship in Parodius just because he's fresh in my mind, he's weird, and adorable.  He mews every time you shoot his cute widdle face.

IMG

Great thread BTW!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Obfuscate

The last Boss in Forgotten Worlds is a real bitch. Pretty sure it's impossible to beat him without losing a couple lives. Not super appreciative of him.

The last Boss in Steam Hearts is also real tough but can be beaten with ease once you discover all her patterns.

Soldier Blade's Final Boss is Pretty Epic - "I'll Kill You"

JoshTurboTrollX

How about Terraforming and the boss that shoots bits of his BRAINS at you!!

IMG

Image taken from Brothers Duomazov:
http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2009/07/terraforming.html
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VestCunt

The fucking Djinn in Exile 2:
IMG

I've also always dreaded Sagat (FS and SF2) and Mandara (Shinobi)
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

Lol, mandara. So hatted 'em. Especially after you lost your weaponry.

PukeSter

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/22/2013, 07:11 PMLol, mandara. So hatted 'em. Especially after you lost your weaponry.
Mandara made me give up on the master system version.

VestCunt

Quote from: PukeSter on 01/22/2013, 07:36 PMMandara made me give up on the master system version.
Ditto. Last month I made another attempt to beat SMS Mandara after seeing it done on some youtube videos and I still got hosed.
Topic Adjourned.

tggodfrey

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 01/22/2013, 11:31 AMHow about Terraforming and the boss that shoots bits of his BRAINS at you!!

IMG

Image taken from Brothers Duomazov:
http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2009/07/terraforming.html
I think he is pretty easy.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

pc_kwajalein

Remember the Black Pudding from Cadash? The first time I encountered the Black Pudding, I was like, "Seriously?" Nevermind the fact that the Black Pudding didn't even look like actual pudding, but the idea that someone's consciousness conjured up an unfitting nickname for a boss that looked like a huge collection of empty snow globes is a curiosity in itself. Now every time I peel the top off a Jell-O pudding cup, Black Pudding manifests itself in the back of my unprepared mind.  :shock:
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

NecroPhile

Black pudding is from the 38 sided die casters, not original to Cadash.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

the "black budding" impressed me a very lot when I first time saw it in the arcades :shock:

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2013, 04:29 PMBlack pudding is from the 38 sided die casters, not original to Cadash.
Exactly.

Tatsujin

MrFlutterPie

I really like the possessed room form Splatterhouse.  While it's an easy fight I am still blown away at the concept of fighting a possessed room!  It has to be the most imaginative boss fight  I have ever played.

tpivette

The boss in Ys 1 that spends most of his time as multiple bats flying around the room, only to form into the actual boss for a split second making it hard to hit him. I always had trouble with that guy!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

While technically not a boss...but the Troll in the caverns beneath the dungeon in Beyond Shadowgate.  There's a few ways to get past him, so I won't spoil it..  But a couple of the events with him are funny.  One of my favorite memories.

Corredor X

The Battleship from R-Type, maybe it's my favorite boss ever. I love the idea of the whole stage being just the enemy.

IMG

PCEngineHell

First boss from Image Fight II. Good way to tell right off the bat if you will be able to hack it later in the game or not is by how well you handle that boss.

esteban

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/27/2013, 02:33 PMFirst boss from Image Fight II. Good way to tell right off the bat if you will be able to hack it later in the game or not is by how well you handle that boss.
STATUS: I love this idea of a "litmus test" earlier in a game that can test someone's mettle. I can't think of any right now, sadly.

Tatsujin

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/27/2013, 02:33 PMFirst boss from Image Fight II. Good way to tell right off the bat if you will be able to hack it later in the game or not is by how well you handle that boss.
one of the most adrenalin releasing boss ever in history of videogames.

Bardoly

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/27/2013, 07:04 PM
one of the most adrenalin releasing boss ever in history of videogames.
Well, I'm looking forward to trying Image Fight II out soon after my copy arrives from Asia in a couple of weeks.  After Image Fight cleaned my clock, and after hearing how difficult Image Fight II is, I just hope to be able to even get to the first boss, much less beat it.  :roll:

Tatsujin

The way to the boss isn't much of an issue, so isn't the boss itself once you know his dirty tricks.
It's more the whole stress that is coming up during the boss fight. His fast rushed movements and surprises, accompanied by the stressful music.

Obfuscate

Image Fight 2 is one of the great games on the system. If you're going to spend the $$ to get it make sure you put in your time and play through the whole game. Lots of epic-ness throughout, a ton of strategy if you want any chance to 1CC it. Lots of great enemies, bosses and level design.

Tatsujin

PukeSter

Tatsujin

Obfuscate

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/28/2013, 09:51 AMrolf, did I just read 1CC?
Yes, it's not that hard, I've done it. I Almost 1 life cleared it but died once. The last 3 bosses all go down with 1 shot if you have the right weapon (pick it up midway through stage 8 ). You just need to memorize the stages and pick the right weapons for the Boss battles. There are more difficult shooters on the engine like Rayxanber 2, I've beaten that one dozens of times but have still yet to 1CC. May have to try again this winter!

Edit - I made a quick Boss walkthrough and posted it here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14059.msg280718#msg280718

PukeSter

Quote from: Obfuscate on 01/28/2013, 10:57 AM
Yes, it's not that hard, I've done it. I Almost 1 life cleared it but died once. The last 3 bosses all go down with 1 shot if you have the right weapon (pick it up midway through stage 8 ). You just need to memorize the stages and pick the right weapons for the Boss battles. There are more difficult shooters on the engine like Rayxanber 2, I've beaten that one dozens of times but have still yet to 1CC. May have to try again this winter!
Tell that to Malc of shmups.cm. ;)

http://www.shmups.com/reviews/imagefight2/index.html

Obfuscate

Quote from: guest on 01/28/2013, 12:02 PM
Quote from: Obfuscate on 01/28/2013, 10:57 AM
Tell that to Malc of shmups.cm. ;)

http://www.shmups.com/reviews/imagefight2/index.html
He should read the walkthrough I just posted. This guy never even took the time to learn how to switch the weapons! It's too bad he missed out on a great game.

Tatsujin

rCadeGaming

How about near the end of Rondo of Blood where you have to do a marathon of the Universal monsters.  One of the high points of the series.

bob

Quote from: Bernie on 01/26/2013, 08:41 PMWhile technically not a boss...but the Troll in the caverns beneath the dungeon in Beyond Shadowgate.  There's a few ways to get past him, so I won't spoil it..  But a couple of the events with him are funny.  One of my favorite memories.
Game is so F'n good. Very creative all the way through.